LOCK HAVEN — Since its inception in 1882, the community newspaper Express has gone through many changes. Its location, technology and operations.
Almost every copy of the Express has been preserved on microfilm. The first copies began in 1889. Copies of the first seven years of the newspaper were unfortunately destroyed in the flood of 1889.
Here is a brief history of some of the major points in the life of this legendary newspaper:
HISTORY OF THE EXPRESS
1881: JBG Kinsloe and Sons founds The Evening Express.
March 1, 1882: L’Express du Soir publishes its first edition.
1891: Express Printing operates out of the Rynder Building at 7 W. Main St. (now site of SWC Realty next to the Express).
April 1, 1904: The Evening Express changes name to The (Lock Haven) Express.
October 1907: The first linotype arrives at Lock Haven.
July 18, 1917: The Dispatch merges with Express.
1923: Two weeklies, The Clinton Republican and The Clinton Democrat, are combined into one weekly, The Lock Haven Weekly Express, until 1932.
September 6, 1926: The Express moves to a new location in the Harris Claster Building at 9 W. Main St. Nearly 100 years later, the newspaper continues to operate in the same building.
1932: The Weekly Express lasts until 1932, when it becomes a daily.
1933: L’Express buys its first rotary press and eliminates the eight-page Duplex flat bed.
1934: A tubular press, with stereotyping equipment, is installed and prints up to 12,000 copies per hour.
1935: The Express expands its Center County readership to the Blanchard, Howard, Orviston, Monument and nearby communities.
1953: Land is laid for a new addition to the building to house a new press.
1961: L’Express buys the Jersey Shore Evening News from the Bowes family. Production continued there on an eight-page flatbed press until the mid-1960s, when the two papers were combined.
1969-1975: The Express transfers its printing operations to the Himes Printing Co. at State College.
1972: That year’s great flood caused the water to rise nearly six feet inside the Main Street business office. This leads to a $100,000 remodel.
June 1975: The first newspaper is printed on an eight-unit Gross Community offset press on Main Street.
June 5, 1993: The first Weekend edition is printed.
October 1, 1996: Ogden Newspapers buys The Express.
FIRST LOCKDOWN HAVEN
1870: An Act of Assembly (March 28, 1870) declares Lock Haven a town, with five wards, the fifth being Flemington; Wilson Kistler moves to Lock Haven to build and operate a tannery.
1871: The new Market House opens at East Church and Grove Streets; the jail, expanded at a cost of $22,240, has 13 cells. John W. Smith is sheriff.
1873: The foundation stone is laid for the Central State Normal School, on land donated by Philip M. Price; a YMCA is organized.
1876: The River Bridge piers were raised by a four-foot addition to the top, and the old bridge superstructure was rebuilt at a cost of approximately $15,000. The Academy of Music opens. The Duke of Riansares, husband of Queen Maria Christina of Spain, visits Lock Haven, seeking to recover some of his wife’s fortune. A fire destroys the Hipple and Wilson planing mill.
1877: The Daily Journal begins to appear in Lock Haven’s first daily newspaper. Opening of the Central State Normal School.
1878: Allison Township separates from the city.
1879: Flemington withdraws from the city and establishes borough status. The Carpe Diem Club sponsors the first Grand Ball at the Opera. The Lock Haven Furniture Company opens on West Church Street.
1881: JBG Kinsloe and Sons founds The (Lock Haven) Express. Joel A. Herr becomes president of the new Clinton County Agricultural Society. The Pennsylvania Pulp and Paper Co. begins operations in Lock Haven, the first paper mill in central Pennsylvania.
1884: The Lock Haven depot for the Beech Creek, Clearfield and Southwestern Railroad is built.